Wild Colours - Exciting colours from Natural Dyes
JN Liles (1990) The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing: traditional recipes for modern use. Univ. of Tennessee Press. 222 pages.
- practical dyeing. Available from good second-hand book sellers.
Dominique Cardon (2007) Natural Dyes: Sources, Tradition, Technology and Science. Archetype Publications Ltd.
- a new natural dyes "bible"
Jenny Dean (1999) Wild Colour: How to grow, prepare and use natural plant dyes. Mitchell Beazley, London.
- an excellent book on natural dyes, full of photos of the plants and with several colour charts
Jenny Dean (2014) A Heritage of Colour: Natural Dyes Past and Present, Search Press
- This book is packed with information on historic natural dye recipes and focuses on native plants
Wada, Y; Rice, M. & Barton, J. (1983) Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing. Tokyo: Kodansha International.
The ultimate resource on shibori techniques. This book has a wealth of beautiful photographs and clear instructions on shibori and on the zinc-lime indigo vat. Also published in paperback in 1999.
Amy Butler Greenfield (2005) A Perfect Red: Empire, Espionage, and the Quest for the Colour of Desire. Doubleday.
- a wonderful book on the history and biology of cochineal
Brian Murphy (2006) The Root of Wild Madder: Chasing the History, Mystery, and Lore of the Persian Carpet. Simon & Schuster.
Violetta Thurston (1972) The Use of Vegetable Dyes. Dryad.
UK Shipping £4.95p on orders up to £80 & free over £80 in UK
[shipping £2.95 on very small orders up to £2.95 in value]
Updated on 19 April 2021
Website & photos by Mike Roberts ©2006-21 Wild Colours natural dyes